Ella Schreiber, QPSA, APSA  


Mini Sewing Machine by Ella Schreiber, QPSA, APSA

March 2020 - Mini Sewing Machine

About the Image(s)

This is a macro shot of a mini-sewing machine. I added real size bobbins, and, thread to give it scale, and, added a filter to make it creative. Finally, added a boarder of a tape measure. Sharpened it a bit and called it done.

Macro lens at 1.3 sec., F 9, ISO 400… tripod, window light, cable release. The original image was a stack of 35 images, converted to mono in Nik.


15 comments posted

Michael Nath   Michael Nath
Interesting that the tape measure border you added is in both metric and SAE scales. You have excellent control of the details as I am able to distinguish the individual threads in both the black and white spools. Since you stated that this was done with a large stack of individual images, I am curious as to whether or not each spool of thread was shot separately and composited together or were they together in a single shot. Either way the results are impressive.   Posted: 03/01/2020 14:16:53

Ella Schreiber   Ella Schreiber
Hi Michael... I did not shoot the spools separately... but, did stack of 35 of the original image, then added a creative filter and used a mask to bring out the detail in the spools.

Thank you for your comments   Posted: 03/01/2020 19:53:09

Beverly Caine   Beverly Caine
(Groups 48 & 80)
Visiting from 48 & 80
What a wonderful piece of work. It brings back memories of my youth when I sewed much of my own clothing and that of my daughter. Wish I had the patience to create an image such as this. But you did give me inspiration   Posted: 03/07/2020 21:11:55
Ella Schreiber   Ella Schreiber
HI Beverly.. thank you for visiting our group. This was a fun still life and the sewing machine is a teeny-weeny mini that actually has moving parts... without the real life size sewing items it would be hard to tell it was a miniature. Thanks for your feedback   Posted: 03/08/2020 06:40:02

Peter Clark   Peter Clark
Ella - the quality of the capture, lighting and post processing on the main subject is outstanding! However I find that the tape measure border - a neat idea - over dominates the image and a reduction of 50% in the width would be more effective. I am also not completely sold on the size of the spools which seem too much out of scale for comfort to my eyes.

Nevertheless a highly competent still life from conception through to final image - well done!   Posted: 03/08/2020 04:18:46
Ella Schreiber   Ella Schreiber
Peter... thanks for your feedback... I added the spools, bobbins, pins, and, tape in real size... because the sewing machine is a teeny weeny mini...and, I wanted to show its scale. When I shot the sewing machine by itself, it was hard to tell that it was a miniature because it actually has moving parts and the drawer opens as well...it looked like a real life-size machine.   Posted: 03/08/2020 06:37:19

Ed Ries
Great image Ella. Very creative with interesting components. I like the arrangement of elements and the range of tones in the image. Tape measure framing adds additional interest for me. Well done.   Posted: 03/09/2020 12:35:30

Ella Schreiber   Ella Schreiber
Ed... thanks for your feedback   Posted: 03/09/2020 16:29:10

John Gilkerson   John Gilkerson
Ella, this is something quite original.
An excellent idea, well put together and well photographed.
The differing scales of the various elements is interesting and very effective.   Posted: 03/11/2020 14:57:36
Ella Schreiber   Ella Schreiber
John... thanks for your feedback... sort of a fun project … but, it was a lot of work.   Posted: 03/14/2020 15:10:38

Paul Roth   Paul Roth
A very well done image Ella. The effect looks almost like HDR. I would like to know how you merged your 35 images and processed it after.   Posted: 03/14/2020 08:15:24

Ella Schreiber   Ella Schreiber
Hi Paul... Thanks for your comments. I first stacked the images in photoshop and saved the file...Then duplicated that file, then added a swirlie line filter and used a mask "erase" and show some detail in the spools from the layer below. Finally I added the boarder of tape measure as a frame and added the y bit in the layer below the frame. Actually, quite a bit of work... but a fun little project. It was converted in NIK.. and, called it done... the color version is sort of cool as well.   Posted: 03/14/2020 15:09:59
Paul Roth   Paul Roth
Thanks Ella.
  Posted: 03/16/2020 19:50:32

Ian Chantler   Ian Chantler
Hi Ella
Wow what a great idea and how brilliantly produced a lot of thought gone into this and superbly presented even down to the swirl on the tape measure would love to see more from your amazing imagination so well done.   Posted: 03/24/2020 15:46:05

Ella Schreiber   Ella Schreiber
Hi Ian... thanks for your comments.. this was a fun a fun project.. but.. as I mentioned previously, a lot of work... now that most of us are at home... my creative juices are fast at work... stay tuned.   Posted: 03/24/2020 20:09:16

 

Please log in to post a comment